Kandersteg - Sunnbüel cable car - Schwarenbach - Gemmipass - Gemmi cable car - Leukerbad
Duration: 3 hours
Distance: 12 km
Conditions: well maintained winter hiking route
Access: Christmas - about Easter
Winter hiking over Gemmi Pass
From Kandersteg, Sunnbüel cable car transports you to the winter hiking paradise. You can reach Kandersteg cable car on a short hike of half an hour or easily with the local bus.
From Sunnbüel take the historic route to the Gemmi Pass. A hundred years ago this was an important link between the cantons Bern and Valais. First, there is a short climb to the plateau of «Spittelmatte» then make the ascent to the Hotel Schwarenbach.
The hike continues in the direction of Daubensee and to the final destination of Gemmi Pass (altitude 2,322 m). Here you are rewarded with wonderful views of the Valais Alps.
You can hike back along the same route or take the Gemmi cable car for the descent to Leukerbad and the bus and train to return to Kandersteg. You can buy the relevant round trip ticket at the train station.
Please note that the route is only accessible in good weather. Before tackling this Alpine pass hiking route please first enquire about the local weather conditions
Tips for winter hikers
- Wear good waterproof trekking shoes and use walking sticks that make it much easier to hike through snow.
- Temperature differences during the day can be significant. Warm clothing, sunglasses and suncream will also protect you from unpleasant surprises.
- Winter can transform nature into an amazing artwork. Keep a camera at the ready to capture images of these winter impressions.
- However, the charms of the mountain and winter landscape are also associated with several hazards. In no circumstances leave the marked hiking routes!
- You should also avoid hiking on ski slopes and cross-country ski runs.
- Please respect wildlife habitats. They already need a lot of energy to survive the harsh winter without any interference from humans.
- If necessary, please keep your dog on a lead.